By now, everyone who follows concussions knows that they are not the exclusive domain of football and hockey.
More proof of that was in evidence last week when race car driver Eric McClure returned to NASCAR after sitting out six weeks while dealing with the lingering effects of a concussion.
McClure told the media he considered not returning to racing.
“For me, I’ve always said that this isn’t the most important thing in my life,” he said. “Not because I’m not the most competitive guy. But I’m 33 years old, I have a family, I really enjoy time with them. So naturally, it’s just time in my life, not just because of the accident, that I’m thinking, what’s next?”
The concussion that McClure sustained in the May 5 race at Talladega was the third of his career, which is one of the reasons he sat out for an extended period of time.
“There’s not really a set timetable for those things and that’s been the challenging thing,” he said. “That’s what kept me from coming back was the lingering symptoms. I really felt a couple of weeks ago, after the first two weeks of being away from the track, and having total brain rest, that I was ready. But (my doctor) felt like we needed to wait, and I respect that opinion.”