The lawyer representing four former NFL players, and their families, who sued the NFL Sunday over the concussions they suffered during their playing days, spoke recently about his rationale for filing the lawsuit, which came a week after a judge had announced a proposed settlement between the league and more than 4,000 former players
James Dugan II told ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/) that his clients will likely participate in the settlement.
“I strongly believe this settlement is an excellent development, and will encourage all my clients to take advantage of its benefits,” he told the Website in an email. “I filed this new case on behalf of these players because the Judge has not yet approved the settlement. In the event the settlement is not approved, this filing will preserve these players’ legal rights. Additionally, Riddell is named as a defendant in this filing, and they are not a party to the settlement announced last week.”
Another important factor was that the proposed settlement allows for compensation of ex-players with “severe cognitive impairment.” Those with merely cognitive impairment will only remain eligible to receive payment “if any of the $675 million is left.”