Controversy Brews over Start and Stop of Sayers’ Suit against NFL

We may never know what really happened, but a concussion lawsuit filed Friday on behalf of NFL Hall of Famer Gale Sayers against the league is in the process of being withdrawn.

Sayers’s wife, Ardie Sayers, told the Chicago Tribune that attorney John F. Winters called them to say the suit will be dropped and that the situation was “a big misunderstanding.”

“I had about one half of a concussion in all of the years that I played,” Sayers told the paper. “I didn’t say any of the things he said in the paper.”

Meanwhile, the paper reported that Winters, of the firm Winters, Salzetta & O’Brien, LLC in Chicago, had mailed paper work to the Sayers residence, but Gale Sayers did not sign any of the papers and return them to Winters, a fact that the attorney confirmed.

Sayers, with the help of Winters, did sue the NFL last year, a lawsuit that was consolidated with the master case in Pennsylvania.

This entry was posted in Football, General, Litigation, Professional and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.