Tennessee’s new concussion law, Public Chapter 148, goes into effect on January 1 with the stated objective of reducing youth sports concussions and increasing awareness of traumatic brain injury.
The three core principles of the law are:
• To inform and educate coaches, youth athletes and their parents and require them to sign a concussion information form before competing.
• To require removal of a youth athlete who appears to have suffered a concussion from play or practice at the time of the suspected concussion.
• To require a youth athlete to be cleared by a licensed health care professional before returning to play or practice.
Both public and private school sports as well as recreational leagues for children under age 18 that require a fee are required to abide by the law. The law spans all sports.
Below are links for the required forms, trainings and guidelines that will equip coaches, parents and athletes to recognize and respond to sports related concussion:
• Sample: http://health.state.tn.us/tbi/PDFs/CONC sample policy 2013-10-22.pdf
• Coach Signature Form: http://health.state.tn.us/tbi/PDFs/CONC Coach signature form final 2013-10-22.pdf
Parent-Athlete Signature Form: http://health.state.tn.us/tbi/PDFs/CONC parent athlete sign final 2013-10-22.pdf