The Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) will host its next webinar — “Why Does Concussion Affect Men Differently Than Women?” — from 1 to 2:30 p.m. (EDT) on June 12.
The webinar will address how TBI affects men and women differently.
Among the topics being addresses are the possible neuroprotective effects of sex hormones and the potential benefits of treating men with TBI with the female sex hormones, progesterone or estrogen.
Presenters in this webinar will:
- Describe the different effects of TBI on long-term quality of life depending on gender
- Emphasize the importance of multidisciplinary rehabilitation that is sensitive to gender differences
- Discuss the prevalence of hypogonadism after TBI
- Review the clinical evidence regarding the use of hormone therapy after TBI
- Janet P. Niemeier, Ph.D., ABPP
Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina, Carolinas Rehabilitation professor and senior research director
- Amy K. Wagner, M.D.
University of Pittsburgh, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research associate director of rehabilitation research; Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation associate professor and vice chair for research
For more information, visit dcoe.mil/webinars.